GARY, LAKE COUNTY (WLFI)— Indiana State Police have identified the driver who died Saturday morning due to a fiery, single-vehicle crash on the Indiana Toll Road I-80/90. The person who died is 22-year-old James J. Ariel of Chicago, Illinois. He was driving a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu at the time of the crash.
ISP said Regional Dispatch for the Indiana Toll Road received a 911 call of a vehicle on fire near the entrance ramp of I-65 northbound to the Toll Road merges to I-80/90.
Police said Ariel veered off the ramp and into the north ditch.
First responders arrived at the scene minutes later.
A trooper and a firefighter pulled the person out of the vehicle to revive them, but could not.
The car was on fire.
ISP said they don't know why Ariel drove off the ramp into the ditch.
The body was taken to the Lake County Coroner, and identified on Saturday afternoon.
Photo courtesy of Indiana State Police.
- Man who died in northern Indiana fiery crash identified
- Charges expected after northern Indiana police dog dies in crash
- Man who died after Carroll County crash identified
- 2 die when car crashes into buggy in northern Indiana
- State studying northern Indiana site of recent semi crashes
- Authorities: 1 believed dead in northern Indiana small plane crash
- Buckled track blamed in fiery Indiana freight derailment
- Woman, 2 kids dead in fiery freeway crash in Indianapolis
- Police name northern Indiana man fatally shot by deputies
- Fire heavily damages northern Indiana RV plant