WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A Lafayette man is heading to prison for his involvement in an armed robbery at a West Lafayette gas station.
Markeon Devine has been sentenced to nine years in the Indiana Department of Corrections, two years in Tippecanoe County Corrections and three years on probation.
On March 5, prosecutors said Devine walked into the Circle K gas station on the corner of Sagamore Parkway and Yeager Road and pointed a gun at the clerk. Devine demanded money, then drove off in an SUV.
After a short chase with police, Devine crashed the SUV into a utility pole and ended up coming to a stop on Lindberg Road, according to court documents. He then ran from the scene.
Police later learned the owner of the SUV did not give Devine permission to drive it. Court documents said the owner gave it to his son, who drove it to Devine's apartment. When the son woke up, Devine told him he had just robbed a gas station and he used the SUV to drive away from police, according to court documents.
Devine's roommate told police later that morning, he drove Devine to a family member's home in Chicago. While with him, the roommates said he overheard a conversation where Devine admitted to the crimes, according to court documents.
Devine was convicted of armed robbery, resisting law enforcement and auto theft.
West Lafayette police are searching for a man in connection to an alleged armed robbery. Entered Circle K on Yeager/Sagamore around 4 am, led police on pursuit that ended outside Univ. Place. Man then ran west toward 231. No injuries. More on #News18ThisMorning @WLFI pic.twitter.com/sr7Cq4tkt2
— Trevor Peters (@TrevorPetersTV) March 5, 2019
- Man sentenced in West Lafayette armed robbery
- Lafayette man sentenced for armed robbery
- Man sentenced in Black Friday armed robbery
- Lafayette men sentenced for their roles in armed robbery
- Two early morning armed robberies reported in West Lafayette
- Lafayette police investigating three weekend armed robberies
- Suspect charged with Lafayette armed robbery
- Armed robbery reported on Lafayette's east side
- Second person sentenced in armed robbery
- Lafayette man admits to armed robbery, charges filed