LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI)— When driving, anything can steal your focus.
"Next thing I know it was lights out,” said IU Health Patient Mitch Piotrowski
For Mitch Piotrowski, that focus was extending a helping hand.
"In front of us there was a major accident,” said Piotrowski. “I do remember smoke and cars."
He was driving home from a birthday party one evening in 2015 when he came across a car accident. Mitch got out of his car to help the other vehicles.
While helping, another vehicle hit him. Sending him twenty feet in the air and into a ditch.
“After that, I don’t remember anything,” said Piotrowski. “They said I was in a retaining ditch about 75 feet away"
IU Health Lifeline received the call and arrived at the scene.
"He was confused and fairly disoriented,” said IU Health Lifeline Flight Nurse Dawn Jones. “He had some trauma to his face and his chest"
Dawn Jones was the flight nurse on call that night. She helped bring Piotrowski back to a stable state.
“He didn't look real good,” said Jones. ”He was certainly confused which leads us to believe he had some kind of head injury"
He suffered from five body injuries. He was flown to IU Methodist in Indianapolis and immediately rushed into surgery.
"Thank god I had a great support crew around me to keep me alive,” said Piotrowski
Piotrowski wanted to thank the nurse who worked effortlessly that night to save his life.
"I wanted to reach out and give them a hug and say thank you,” said Piotrowski
"I'm glad that his story is being told," said Jones. "And that the community knows that we are here to help them at a moment’s notice"
- Man reunites with nurse who saved his life
- Frankfort officers honored after saving man's life
- 6 neighbors recognized for saving a life
- TCCC officers recognized for saving a life
- Franciscan nurse donates kidney
- Local nurse receives international award
- Purdue combats national nursing shortage
- Tourniquet saves life of car crash victim in Cass County
- A homeless man was reunited with his lost dog and the video is a real tearjerker
- Class ring lost for 48 years is reunited with owner