LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Sebastian Smith was found not guilty of attempted murder by a Tippecanoe County Circuit Court Jury but still faces up to 51 years in prison for convictions on eight other charges. The jury returned their verdicts Thursday evening after deliberating around four hours on the following charges:
Ct 1: Conspiracy to Commit Armed Robbery (F3) - Guilty
Ct 2: Robbery Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury (F2) - Guilty
Ct 3: Criminal Confinement (F3) - Guilty
Ct 4: Theft (AM) - Guilty
Ct 5: Aggravated Battery (F3) - Guilty
Ct 6: Battery by Deadly Weapon (F5) - Guilty
Ct 7: Battery resulting in Serious Bodily Injury (F5) - Guilty
Ct 8: Carrying a handgun without a license (AM) - Guilty
Ct 9: Attempted Murder (F1) – NOT guilty
Carrying a handgun without a license with prior felony conviction (F5) – waived to bench; Guilty
Use of Firearm Enhancement – waived to bench; Guilty
According to a press release, the case was continued multiple times due to defense attorneys withdrawing from the case and for Smith's case in Benton County to conclude. The defendant has been in custody while the case was pending, and has been serving a sentence in the Indiana DOC on his conviction from Benton County.
The defendant’s possible sentence range is 16-51 years.
Prosecutors accused 29-year-old Smith of shooting a man in the chest during a robbery. In August of 2016, Lafayette police were called to an apartment on Hartford Street for a report of shots fired. As News 18 previously reported, witnesses said Smith and Tre'Velle Young came to sell them a TV, However, Young grabbed a rifle and Smith took out his handgun demanding money and cell phones.
Witnesses say shortly after the victim pulled out a knife, Smith shot him in the chest. Young has already been sentenced in the case.
- Lafayette man found not guilty of attempted murder during robbery
- Lafayette man found guilty of attempted murder
- Jail inmate found guilty of attempted murder
- Lafayette man sentenced for attempted murder
- A Lafayette woman charged after attempted robbery
- Loren Gary found guilty on all counts including attempted murder
- Man found guilty of attempted murder in a shooting near Columbian Park
- LPD investigating attempted armed robbery
- Lafayette man found guilty of shooting during drug deal
- Kokomo man found guilty in Lafayette armed burglary case