TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A Lafayette man will serve time in jail for his part in an armed robbery in which a man was shot.
Court documents say at around 10 p.m. on August 10, 2016, officers were sent to investigate a report of a shot fired at an apartment in the 1000 block of Hartford Street.
When officers arrived they spoke with a witness who had heard what sounded like yelling and a possible gunshot in the upstairs apartment of the building.
The witness saw a man, later identified as Brendan Firth, leave the premises in a car with what turned out to be a gunshot wound to his chest. Mariah Marsh who lived in the apartment in which the shot was heard said Firth had been shot during a robbery.
Marsh and another tenant, Ryan Wall, said that they had been in the apartment with Firth when two males, 27-year-old Sebastian Smith and 19-year-old Tre’Velle Young, came over to sell Wall a television. Young later admitted to police that the actual intent of the visit was to gain entrance to the apartment in order to steal drugs.
After negotiating a price for the TV, Young left the apartment under the guise of retrieving the remote when in actuality, he went to get a rifle.
When he returned, Young displayed the rifle and Smith pulled out a handgun. They demanded money and cell phones. Smith added that Wall had also given them a bag of marijuana.
During the robbery, Firth revealed a knife and it was at that time, the gun was fired and Firth was shot in the chest.
Smith and Young then went back to Smith’s home where they split the drugs.
On Oct. 25, Young pled guilty to felony charges of conspiracy to commit robbery and criminal confinement. A firearm enhancement was added to the charges as well which adds time to the minimum sentence for the crime.
On Dec. 1, Young was sentenced to a total of 19 years: nine years incarceration with the Department of Correction, five years on work release with the Tippecanoe County Community Corrections, and five years on probation.
- Man charged in robbery case to serve 19 years
- Three charged in armed robbery case
- Lafayette man charged in Ollie's robbery
- October 19: Friday Feedback
- Homeless man charged in stabbing case sentenced
- Man charged in the robbery of a Village Pantry sentenced to 10 years
- Kokomo man involved in armed robbery sentenced to 43 years
- Man involved in double robbery sentenced to 24 years
- Lafayette man admits to armed robbery, charges filed
- Attempted robbery, police chase leads to charges against Illinois man