LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — An alleged unprovoked attack in the Tippecanoe County Jail has one inmate facing more charges.
Prosecutors said security footage shows Lawrence Bell in a common area approaching fellow inmate David Bibbs from behind.
Bell allegedly grabbed a mop wringer out of a bucket and swung it like a baseball bat, knocking Bibbs unconscious in one blow. Court documents give no clear motive for the attack.
Bell is currently in jail on pending charges of theft. He now faces four new charges, including battery causing serious bodily injury and being a habitual offender.
- Man attacks fellow inmate in Tippecanoe County Jail
- Tippecanoe County Jail scans more than inmates
- Authorities investigate Tippecanoe County Jail inmate's death
- More reading options for Tippecanoe County Jail inmates
- Tippecanoe County Jail getting new captain
- Coroner releases cause of death of Tippecanoe County jail inmates who died on same day
- Cause of death released for third Tippecanoe County Jail inmate who died on same day
- Two Tippecanoe County Jail inmates die from unrelated medical issues on same day
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains
- Tippecanoe County Sheriff reacts to drugs in jail