LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — An alleged unprovoked attack in the Tippecanoe County Jail has one inmate facing more charges.
Prosecutors said security footage shows Lawrence Bell in a common area approaching fellow inmate David Bibbs from behind.
Bell allegedly grabbed a mop wringer out of a bucket and swung it like a baseball bat, knocking Bibbs unconscious in one blow. Court documents give no clear motive for the attack.
Bell is currently in jail on pending charges of theft. He now faces four new charges, including battery causing serious bodily injury and being a habitual offender.
- Man attacks fellow inmate in Tippecanoe County Jail
- Authorities investigate Tippecanoe County Jail inmate's death
- Tippecanoe County Jail scans more than inmates
- Tippecanoe County Jail getting new captain
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains
- Tippecanoe County Sheriff reacts to drugs in jail
- Tippecanoe County Jail installing new video visitation system
- The search for new cameras at the Tippecanoe County Jail
- Man arrested for shooting in Tippecanoe County
- UPDATE: Missing Tippecanoe County man found