LOGANSPORT, Ind. (WLFI) — A major national retailer is coming to Logansport this year. The store agreed to be a part of the redevelopment happening at the Logansport Mall.
Mayor Dave Kitchell has not released the name of the retailer yet. He said he's waiting for a few more papers to be signed to make it official.
According to Mayor Kitchell, a Chicago developer has options to purchase the mall. The developer is working to solidify at least a dozen new stores.
Logansport has doubled its amount of construction since last year.
Mayor Kitchell said this new mall is necessary with the growth the city is seeing.
“It's housing. It's commercial, it's retail, it's industrial there's just a lot of construction going on and we think with the housing we've got going up and the housing market showing rising property values that it's another indicator that we are growing as a community,” said Kitchell.
Kitchell said the mall's staple stores like Sears and JCPenny's won't be returning but the new stores going in will cater to the new generation of shoppers.
“It's a regeneration with newer brands that are more update and I think we have to adjust our expectation to say we're not going to get those companies back but we're going to get something we're using in other places that have come along that are the next generation of retail,” said Kitchell.
Kitchell said the late '80s is the last time the Logansport Mall has seen a rebirth. They plan to break ground this year.
- Major national retailer coming to Logansport Mall
- Logansport bridge set to close
- Logansport looking into hotel development
- Logansport company moving to Lafayette
- Logansport ranked high in safety
- Logansport Hardee's destroyed in fire
- Chicago developers purchase Logansport Mall, hotel to take over former JCPenney building
- NCC Baseball: McCutcheon edges Logansport in semifinals
- Logansport company shows off replica Batmobile
- First responders react to Logansport house fire