LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The Lafayette Redevelopment Commission approved the next phases of the Main Street Streetscape project on Thursday.
These phases will include surveying and design efforts from seventh street up to eleventh street. As well as engineering, surveying and construction on 3rd street between Columbia and South Streets.
"If you go out there particularly on Main Street the sidewalks and a lot of the areas are not in very good shape," said Dennis Carson. Lafayette's Economic Development Director. "There's some ADA issues and other things we need to pay attention to."
He said the city plans to update sidewalks and create more spaces gathering spaces for the public to enjoy.
"Making these kinds of investments that we need to do in our infrastructure not just for safety issues but also to make a better community and really enhance it," he said.
Carson said construction on Main street wouldn't begin until 2020 or 2021.
- Main Street Streetscape next steps will help enhance infrastructure
- Main Street closure pushed back
- Dollar General on Main Street robbed
- City approves enhancement study for Wabash neighborhood
- Grant to help Lafayette police enhance department
- LPD investigates late night stabbing on Main Street
- City officials find solution to Main Street flooding
- New surveillance cameras watch over Main Street in Lafayette
- New study looks to alleviate flooding from Main Street
- The season's first Mosey Down Main Street starts Saturday