LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Update: Due to the rain, The Tippecanoe County Health Department announced it will be moving the lunch to a later unannounced date. Along with Riehle Plaza, they plan to announce the new date as soon as possible.
The Tippecanoe County Health Department is hosting a free day of fun for families Thursday. It will also be a time to educate people on the importance of vaccinations.
June 21, is the third annual Lunch in the Park at Riehle Plaza in Lafayette. There will be free lunch, games, raffles and education on family immunization.
"You can go anywhere from the flu vaccine, to HPV, to hepatitis, everything like that. So each thing has its own benefit in its own way and there's really no downside to getting these," said Tippecanoe County Health Department Immunizations PR Intern Clayton Retherford.
The health department will be making sure everyone's vaccination records are up to date. Staff will be available throughout the event using a website called MyVax. It allows you to create an online account to keep track of your immunizations.
With the recent Hep A outbreak in Southern Indiana, staff will be making sure adults are up to date on their Hep A and B shots.
"It is preventable," said Retherford. "There is a two dose vaccination series that you can get. We actually just finished a vaccination series with the police department over in Lafayette."
The event is from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and lunch is available to the first 100 people. There will be water balloons and water guns for the kids to enjoy. For adults, their will be raffle prizes that include gift cards from restaurants across Greater Lafayette.'
- Free lunch in the park postponed due to weather
- Tippecanoe Co. Health Dept. free lunch
- Cardi B postpones Indianapolis concert due to threat
- Lafayette School Corporation providing free summer lunch program for kids
- Lafayette's Art in the Park cancelled due to weather
- Rain date announced for Lunch in the Park
- Patrick Elliott's murder trial postponed
- A local look at the government shutdown impact on free and reduced lunch recipients
- 13th annual Germanfest cancelled due to weather
- UPDATE: Monday's North River Road closure postponed