TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A Tippecanoe County jury found Loren Gary guilty of attempted murder and all other charges related to a police call last year.
Gary now faces sentencing for attempted murder, attempted battery by means of a deadly weapon, two counts of intimidation, pointing a firearm and criminal recklessness.
Wednesday's jury ultimately had to decide whether Gary intended to kill Deputy Lieutenant Travis Dowell. The jury believed he did.
In Dowell's dash cam video, jurors saw Gary positioned behind a car in the driveway. Lt. Dowell was parked in the courtyard standing outside his truck. In the video, jurors saw Gary fire his gun toward Dowell, and ballistic evidence showed it hit Dowell's front license plate.
It then took Gary a while to drop the gun and surrender.
Defense argued it was dark, Gary was drunk, and not wearing his glasses, however the state said being voluntarily intoxicated isn't a defense.
As News 18 previously reported, Gary initially intended to defend himself, but changed his mind last minute. His lawyer, Pat Manahan, doesn't think the relatively short preparation time affected the outcome of the case.
"This case again was focused on a 30-minute period of time, with a very limited number of witnesses, a case file that had been already prepared by the prior attorney, and a client who had been well prepared himself. All those things being considered - no, it was easy to get it all together," said Manahan.
Gary's sister said her brother struggles with mental health issues and that didn't come up at the trial. Manahan said that will likely become a factor in the sentencing phase, scheduled for Aug. 10.
- Loren Gary found guilty on all counts including attempted murder
- Loren Gary sentenced for attempted murder of deputy
- Did Loren Gary attempt to kill a Tippecanoe Co. Deputy?
- Jail inmate found guilty of attempted murder
- Lafayette man found guilty of attempted murder
- Lafayette man found not guilty of attempted murder during robbery
- 'Hollywood Ripper' found guilty of two counts of murder after monthslong trial
- Patrick Elliott found guilty of murder
- Man found guilty of attempted murder in a shooting near Columbian Park
- Burnettsville man was found guilty in Deer Creek murder