LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- There's a new addition to the team at the Long Center for the Performing Arts. John Hughey is the new Executive Director of the Long Center. Hughey recently took over after Eric Van Cleave stepped down from the position.
Although he's just six weeks into the new position, Hughey is hitting the ground running. Through interacting with the community, he's had a lot of requests for the Long Center to host more family events.
Hughey's idea of family-friendly includes more concerts, plays and interactive events. He's also interested in adding comedy shows to the lineup.
"I'm hearing also from the business community that these are great spaces to have product launches [and] guest speakers could come in, so there's just a lot of opportunities," Hughey said.
Those opportunities are expanding, because the Long Center will now be booking events at the Lafayette Theater.
As we previously reported, the city will be taking over the Lafayette Theater starting January of 2020. It's currently operating under private ownership.
Hughey explained how lucky the City of Lafayette is to have the two spaces just a block away from each other downtown. He said there are many cities across Indiana that neglected to invest in its theatres and are just now starting to build an arts district from scratch.
He said the Long Center and the Lafayette Theater make up a true performing arts center.
"It's going to be a situation where on many nights there's going to be events in both facilities [and] both venues," Hughey said. "And you're just going to have to kind of make a decision on where you'll spend your time."
Hughey mentioned the opportunity for special events to be held at both facilities. That includes weddings, receptions and other kinds of celebrations that people would be able to book. He also added there are many local musicians who are interested in hosting a songwriter series in the long center.
To view a list of events coming to Downtown Lafayette, click here.
- Long Center for Performing Arts hires new Executive Director
- Almost Home Humane Society hires new Executive Director
- Almost Home Humane Society close to hiring a new executive director
- Lafayette Jeff getting new sports performance center
- LTHC executive director honored as 2018 Woman of Distinction
- Executive Director of the Farm at Prophetstown Retires
- LUM's Executive Director, Joe Micon, set to retire
- Purdue hires Lafayette Jeff athletic director Peyton Stovall
- Lafayette Jeff hires Joe Hernandez as new athletic director
- Purdue Liberal Arts advising director dies during vacation