LOGANSPORT, Ind. (WLFI) - Logansport city leaders are wanting to fund a study that will look at bringing more hotels to the city. The recommendation for this study came from city-county planner Arin Shaver.
Mayor Dave Kitchell said that two developers are already showing serious interest in building in the community. He said they are looking to build downtown, in the east end of the city and along the Hoosier Heartland Corridor. With college football season just around the corner, demand will be there for more hotels in Logansport.
"The Big Ten plays into that with the traffic from Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State coming down through Fort Wayne and down to Lafayette and teams that are staying in the region," he said.
As News 18 previously reported, revitalization to the Logansport Mall and aiming for a boost in the housing market will also result in more lodging infrastructure. Mayor Kitchell said with the baby boomer generation retiring, more people will be on the roads investing in tourism.
"It's another indication that we are growing, that there is potential here, there's money to be made, there's investment to be had and they want to do it," he said.
Back in the height of railroad transportation, Mayor Kitchell said Logansport once boasted five hotels in its downtown. As transportation continues to change and as more people drive on the Hoosier Heartland Highway, he wants to make sure Logansport is ready to accommodate guests. Especially considering development in places like Logansport is cheaper than areas around Indianapolis, or even in Lafayette.
The plan for funding is expected to be considered at the next city council meeting on Monday.
- Logansport looking into hotel development
- Chicago developers purchase Logansport Mall, hotel to take over former JCPenney building
- Logansport bridge set to close
- Logansport company moving to Lafayette
- Logansport ranked high in safety
- Logansport Hardee's destroyed in fire
- NCC Baseball: McCutcheon edges Logansport in semifinals
- Logansport company shows off replica Batmobile
- First responders react to Logansport house fire
- Logansport hoping to help historic building facades