ROSSVILLE, Ind. (WLFI) -- It's a hot button issue at the statehouse, but despite the publicity local school bus drivers are seeing no end to stop arm violations.
In fact, Rossville School Corporation said its become more aware of the problem since adding a district police department, and cameras to the buses.
Chief Joe Mink has given out twenty-one tickets for school bus stop arm violations so far this year. That number only accounts for offenders he's been able to catch.
It's a problem he and Superintendent James Hanna aren't taking lightly. Hanna credits a major portion of that awareness to the stop arm cameras the school corporation installed on its buses.
"It helps the law enforcement because you can see the plate you can see the vehicle, often times you can see the driver," said Hanna.
News 18 was able to see some of that bus camera footage. In one clip you see a bus arm extending as a semi drives right through, making no attempt to stop.
Mink said most of the drivers he pulls over know exactly what they did wrong. He proved it by taking us on a ride along. As Mink walked up to the car of a violator he asked if the woman knew why she was being pulled over.
Her response: "yeah because of the bus."
Bus driver Tami Disinger has seen it all on her route.
"I've seen cell phones, I've seen people putting make up on, I've seen a guy reading a book."
She said drivers need to stop thinking of buses as an inconvenience.
"It doesn't even take a minute, maybe 30 seconds and I think everyone should have 30 seconds for a child," said Disinger.
If you're unsure about Indiana's school bus laws, you can find more information here.
- Local school bus drivers seeing no end to stop arm violations
- School bus stop arm violations caught on camera in Delphi
- Driver cited for school bus stop arm violation in Tippecanoe County crash
- 78 school bus stop arm violation tickets given by WLPD since August
- Lawmaker calls for stronger penalties for violating a school bus stop arm
- School bus violations set new record in Indiana
- Community members talk school bus stopping safety
- Do you drive around stopped CityBuses? Bus drivers want you to stop
- Indiana school district adding cameras to buses' stop arms
- School bus driver accused of failing to yield in crash