WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Moms Demand Action Indiana is hosting a rally at the Indiana Statehouse on Saturday. Rabbi Mike Harvey from Temple Israel is speaking at the event.
The goal of the rally is to advocate for background checks during gun purchases and the Federal Red Flag law up for a vote in the U.S. Senate. They will be encouraging Indiana's two senators, Mike Braun and Todd Young, to vote in favor of the bill. H.R.8 passed the House of Representatives in February.
A recent study released from Pew in June shows there are still partisan divides in what Democrats and Republicans believe should be done about gun restrictions. However, there is majority support on both sides. For the category "background checks for private sales and at gun shows," 88% of Democrats are in support, and 70% of Republicans are in support. The numbers are even higher for the category "barring gun purchases by people on no-fly or watch lists."
"It corresponds with what the American people want and so, Moms Demand Action and many faith leaders and others are just trying to push that message," said Rabbi Harvey. He is representing the local chapter of Moms Demand Action and the Interfaith Leaders of Greater Lafayette at the rally.
He is speaking at the rally on behalf of the secular and the religious communities of Indiana.
"How there have been shootings in synagogues, churches and mosques and how gun violence, which is preventable, negatively affects our faith communities," he said.
The rally starts at 11 a.m. on Saturday. Rabbi Harvey encourages all people to come to the rally to learn and to show support for stronger gun safety measures in our country.
Congress is currently out on recess and won't begin again until Labor Day.
- Local faith leader speaking at Moms Demand Action rally in Indianapolis
- Climate change activist demand action from local leaders
- Moms Demand Action gather to pack soul boxes
- The Hub on Campus tenants demanding action
- Lafayette moms demand action on gun violence in light of Sandy Hook anniversary
- Moms Demand Action working to end cycle of violence in schools
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America host #WearOrange event at Tapawingo Park
- Faith Church hosts Passion Play
- Local students prepare for Indianapolis Motor Speedway