LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - For most couples, a wedding day is all about the bride and groom. One decided to break tradition and invite some furry friends to their wedding day.
Meet Jarod and Cassandra Satterfield, a couple who has always shared a love for their dogs.
"It's been a big passion of ours and we are huge dog lovers,” said Cassandra.
They are firm believers in the saying "adopt don’t shop" when it comes to finding a furry friend.
"We've rescued three and we actually just rescued one from Hurricane Harvey and brought her here and found her a home," she said.
So they decided to incorporate their passion into their wedding by having all eight bridesmaids carry a puppy down the aisle instead of bouquets.
But these puppies were special in that they all were up for adoption. All the dogs came from Almost Home Humane Society and were all looking for their forever homes.
This wedding was a first for the people and puppies at Almost Home.
“We were invited to bring puppies for bouquets which we had a few questions about but once we heard the whole idea we thought it was absolutely beautiful,” said Justin Henry from the shelter. “It just so happened that one of our foster moms was sitting on a litter of puppies.”
The couple decided to make their special day much bigger than them but dedicating it to the animals of the shelter.
"We both have loved adopting dogs and not buying dogs so I just thought let’s make it something bigger," said Cassandra.
The couple also had a dollar dance where all proceeds go back to the shelter. It’s estimated that they raised more than $300 for the shelter by the end of the party.
Henry said they are in dire need of this kind of help.
"It takes $500 to feed all of our dogs for one day,” he said. “We are currently at capacity, we can't adopt out dogs quickly enough."
But he said it's not all just about raising money.
"We just want people to see the kind of pets that we have,” he said. “There tends to be that shelter dog mentality and we get amazing dogs in all the time"
A message the shelter and the Satterfields want to spread.
"If we can't adopt them all we want to be able to help at least," said Cassandra.
"Adopt, don't shop," said Henry. "Adopt a friend, save a life."
All of the puppies that participated in the wedding found homes by the end of evening. Click here to learn more about Almost Home Humane Society.
- Local couple invites adoptable furry friends as special wedding guests.
- Veterans honored at reception, with surprise special guest
- Local couple celebrates milestone anniversary
- Friend: Barnetts were 'scammed' into adoption, girl was an adult the whole time
- A couple inspires toymaker Mattel to consider creating a same-sex Barbie wedding set
- Rod Stewart crashes couple's Las Vegas wedding and sings to them
- The Arizona Supreme Court ruled two business owners did not have to make invitations for a same-sex wedding
- A gay penguin couple adopted an egg in a Berlin zoo
- Almost Home Humane Society taking donations, offering adoption special after furnace quits
- Purdue adopts global collaboration statement