ROSSVILLE, Ind. (WLFI)—A Rossville couple celebrated a milestone anniversary Sunday. Max and Catherine Knapp have been married for 75 years.
Can you imagine being married 75 years? You'd think there'd be a secret.
"Well just a lot of give and take, and we've just been a happy couple together," said Catherine Knapp.
The couple married in 1943 just before Max was drafted to serve in World War II. Catherine said they made it work by spending as much time as they could together before Max left.
"And then he would get a 15 minute break at 10 o'clock in the morning and this was at a college out there," said Knapp. "So I would go to a place where they served breakfast and order a pecan roll and a cup of coffee and we'd meet for 15 minutes and he'd go back to work."
Catherine said the bond they've formed over the years has strengthened around loved ones.
"We have a close knit family and I think they're just as happy as we are and we really enjoyed it," she said.
The oldest of five children, Bill Knapp said he's more than grateful.
"My parents have taught me a lot of things in the upbringing that I've had with them," he explained.
He's especially impressed with the tenacity his mother brings to the table every day.
"Mom is just fantastic. She's like the ever ready bunny. She just goes and goes and goes," said Knapp. "She still mows 4 acres of yard, she puts out a garden, so we're just so blessed that she's been so good."
Catherine said that same tenacity goes toward her husband.
"I try to take good care of him," Catherine said.
It's safe to say, Max feels the same way.
"I wouldn't know what to do without her," said Max.
Max and Catherine still live on their family farm in the Rossville area. They have 12 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren.
- Local couple celebrates milestone anniversary
- Children's hospital celebrates $50M fundraising milestone
- Benton Central celebrates 50th anniversary
- Wabash Center hosts 65th Anniversary Celebration
- Camp Sycamore Valley celebrates 70th anniversary
- Purdue preparing to celebrate 150th anniversary
- Purdue celebrates homecoming and its 150th anniversary
- Lafayette winery celebrates anniversary with mission to end homelessness
- Blooms and Petals celebrating 20th anniversary this week
- Purdue unveils new penny press machine as part of its 150th anniversary celebration