TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A local attorney plans to run for Tippecanoe County prosecutor.
Republican Earl McCoy made the announcement Thursday night in front of a banquet hall full of supporters.
McCoy has been involved with law in Tippecanoe County since 1996. He currently owns a firm and the majority of cases include criminal defense and family law.
McCoy said he's had police officers ask him to run for awhile now. He said more and more people started asking him after a not guilty verdict was returned in the Kristi Redmon case.
He said if elected, he would like to build a strong relationship with law enforcement.
"When the police officers need assistance from the prosecutor's office, the prosecutor's office needs to assist them in a timely fashion. We can't have a backlog of cases sitting for years because the prosecutor won't make a decision," said McCoy.
McCoy is challenging Pat Harrington who made his announcement to run for re-election earlier this week. Harrington has been prosecutor for the past 11 years.
- Local attorney announces run for Tippecanoe Co. prosecutor
- Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Pat Harrington runs for re-election
- Tippecanoe County Prosecutor to Lead Prosecutor Association in 2020
- Tippecanoe County Primary Sheriff and Prosecutor Debate
- Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor candidates' final plea
- Former Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor candidate's blooper reel
- Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor discusses opposition to legalizing medical marijuana
- Tippecanoe Co. chief deputy prosecutor appointed as judge
- WLFI to broadcast debate between Tippecanoe Co. sheriff, prosecutor candidates