LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — An artist who participated in his first Gallery Walk got more than he bargained for.
Dan Annarino's artwork was vandalized.
"You know stuff happens, but the people here are real good and we're moving on," said Annarino.
The local artist is moving on after a painting of his was ruined.
"Apparently some kid had broken in, sprayed everything down with a fire extinguisher with CO2 and took a screwdriver to one of the paintings and destroyed it," said Annarino.
According to Sgt. Matt Gard with the Lafayette Police Department a 16-year-old high school student destroyed it.
The teenager was arrested and charged with criminal mischief and trespassing.
LPD claims he did it for attention.
"I mean he was a real art critic and he's making a statement known," said Annarino.
Annarino delivered his artwork in the beginning of the week, set it all up and then received an email about the destruction.
"Came in the next day and we got everything down and I got them all cleaned up and replaced the one piece," said Annarino.
Although Annarino says the piece was completely shredded it didn't matter to him.
"So it was just the one piece," said Annarino. "They were all coated with CO2 dust, but they cleaned up pretty good, so you know we got everything redone and took care of it and went on with the show."
That forgiving spirit had a message for the vandal.
"I kind of jokingly, but not quite jokingly, said part of his punishment should be he has to take 10 to 20 art lessons from me and teach him how to paint abstract art and see what he does with that," said Annarino. "Maybe that's a way he can express himself."
Annarino's exhibit was titled "this and that."
He says he arranged it more than 50 times before he found the perfect set up.
- Local artist brushes off a teenager's vandalism
- Vandalism found on local businesses raises concerns
- Indiana train museum vandalized
- Lafayette artists paint portraits to show diversity
- Purdue University hosts second Bangladesh Artist Festival
- Vandalism spree impacts Lafayette neighborhood
- Bob Goldsmith political sign vandalized
- Stockwell family searching for missing teenager
- Missing Tippecanoe County teenager found safe
- Fossil discovery reveals teenage Tyrannosaurus rexes