WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — West Lafayette's Community Historic Project Support (CHiPS) group has announced a new lecture series focusing on local history.
The 2018 lecture series, “The Grand View of West Lafayette’s History; Tales from the Grand View Cemetery and Beyond," will feature three lectures covering a range local-interest topics.
The topics to be covered are:
“Tank Scraps” – Sunday, Jan. 14
Tank Scraps were annual rivalry events where Purdue freshman and sophomore classes “scrapped” to earn the right to paint their class year on the Grand View water tank.
Speaker: David Hovde, retired associate professor from Purdue Archives & Special Collections
“A Walk through the Cemetery” – Sunday, Feb. 11
Learn about the fascinating symbology on headstones.
Speaker: Jeannie Regan-Dinius, Director of Special Initiatives, DNR, Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology
“Victorian Memory & Mourning” – Sunday, March 4
Elaborate guidelines regarding clothing, clocks, jewelry, mirrors and etiquette ruled the day during the Victorian period.
Speaker: Sheila Riley, museum director at Naper Settlement and expert in 19th-century death and mourning practices. (Speaker fee donated by KitchenArt the Store for Cooks.)
All proceeds benefit CHiPS to rehab the caretaker’s cottage at the Grand View Cemetery.
Plans are to provide an exhibit space in the Cottage to feature rotating exhibits depicting West Lafayette’s history, with display items from the West Lafayette History and Research Center, now housed at the West Lafayette Public Library. The center was endowed by former West Lafayette Mayor Sonya Margerum and her husband Dale.
The lectures will take place at Bruno’s Pizza located on 212 Brown Street in West Lafayette at 4 p.m.
Complimentary pizza, Bruno dough and beverages will be provided.
Attendance is open to the public however reservations will be required.
The cost is $10 per person and reservations can be made by calling 765-775-5160.
- Lecture series tackles local history
- History lecture series coming to West Lafayette
- Purdue blocks multiple streaming services in some campus lecture halls
- Former House Speaker Paul Ryan to lecture at Notre Dame
- WLFI History
- Local Weather History: The December 1987 "Bomb"
- Local Weather History: Independence Day Weather
- Purdue blocking access to streaming services in classes and lecture halls
- Purdue's new provost tackles credit transfer issue
- Part Four of Our Series On Local Historic Wildfire Regimes