LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The 2018 Tippecanoe Latino Festival brought together hispanic cultures from all over the world to share with the community.
However people of all cultures were invited to celebrate at the Northend Community Center.
Event goers could learn more about Lafayette's growing Latino population enjoying authentic food, live music, and cultural artifacts.
People could learn more about community resources by visiting one of the dozens of organizations represented.
Robby Tovar is an organizer of the event who said the purpose of the day was to give back to the community. One way they did this was by awarding 10 scholarships to deserving students.
That's what it's all about. To learn about our culture in itself and plus, you know help out other people, help out students as well,” he said.
Tovar said his family was one of the first Latino families to move to the Lafayette area. Making so much community support for his culture shown at the festival that much more special to him.
Valerie Beltran is a Freshman at Purdue and the volunteer coordinator for the event. She said the celebration is about so much more than just the Latino culture.
“It's way bigger than that. We want to help out the whole community,” she said. “We want everyone from different backgrounds to come together and you know celebrate the Latino community.”
She said providing opportunities like the scholarships helps give Latino students the boost they need to succeed in higher education.
Beltran said she grew up in Los Angeles before moving to the Lafayette area to finish out her high school years at Harrison.
She said she has enjoyed seeing Lafayette’s Latino influence grow over the years of living here.
- Latino Festival brings cultures from all over the world together for celebration
- Tippecanoe Latino Festival brings in $30,000 this year
- Lafayette celebrates Indian culture
- Global Festival 2019 brings dozens cultures right to West Lafayette
- Purdue's Black Cultural Center celebrates 50 years
- Craft beer festival celebrates Midwest breweries
- Latino Center for Wellness and Education hosts Christmas party
- Frankfort Hot Dog Festival Celebrates its 25th Anniversary
- Haan Museum hosts second annual Celebrate Indiana Festival
- Purdue Polynesian Cultural Club hosts annual Luau