LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Lafayette's new IMAX will be a five million dollar addition to Lafayette's theaters. It's the final piece to a multi-part renovation project.
The theater was in planning for some time, but management like Dan Lavengood say the idea was originally limited.
"For a long time we were blocked by the Indianapolis ones by the mileage radius. Now that's been reduced and we were finally able to put one in,” said Lavengood.
The IMAX is the final part of a revamp to Greater Lafayette's three theaters.
"You can watch movies at home, but it's such a different experience when you're watching it in a room full of people on a big screen and you really get the impact of the film,” said Visual Media Producer Alli Chaney.
Goodrich Quality Theaters also upgraded Lafayette's other theaters. A new lobby and seats can be found inside Lafayette 7. And the exterior of Wabash Landing 9 was upgraded.
It's upgrades like these that employees like Alli Chaney believe will bring new moviegoers.
"That just keeps the movie going experience more fresh. It just offers something new and exciting,” said Chaney.
And Chaney hopes the IMAX will be something everyone can enjoy.
"Cinema in general has just a very long and rich history, particularly with movie theaters and public screenings. And so we're just continuing that rich history of the way movies are really meant to be experienced,” said Chaney.
The IMAX is scheduled to open this weekend. A grand opening is scheduled for July.
- Lafayette's new IMAX theater set to open this weekend
- Lafayette 7 Theater re-opens after renovations
- Eastside 9 set to close Thursday to become Eastside 10 IMAX
- 'Asperger's Are Us' set to take the stage at Lafayette Theater
- Nelly to be rescheduled, concert still happening at Lafayette Theater
- New owner means new rules for Lafayette Theater
- LPD arrests 2 after fight spills out of Lafayette Theater
- Lafayette School Corporation set to open several new facilities
- Lafayette will buy old Lafayette Theater to help improve entertainment scene
- How do downtown business owners feel about the City of Lafayette purchasing Lafayette Theater?