TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A Lafayette woman accused of neglect resulting in the death of her eight-month-old daughter has been sentenced.
Twenty-three-year-old Makenzie Shultz was sentenced to 40 years in prison and 4 years on probation after being convicted on nine charges in September.
Shultz's eight-month-old daughter, Briley, died in November of 2015 after being taken to the hospital by her father Chad Giroux Jr. and aunt Lauren Giroux.
It was discovered that the baby had been dead for several hours. The pathologist said the cause of death was asphyxiation but also that she was emaciated, dehydrated, malnourished, and had an impacted bowel.
It was also revealed that she had not seen a doctor in six months.
Several family members said that they heard that the child was kept in the closet with items placed on top of her.
The defendant gave several inconsistent statements, telling police three completely different stories about where the baby was found, time of day and what happened.
The state claimed she tried covering up the neglect by throwing away some of the baby's items in the dumpster, cleaning the apartment, and getting rid of marijuana in the home before calling police.
The baby's 26-year-old father Chad Giroux Jr. was also indicted in this case.
Giroux Jr. testified against Shultz in the trial saying he caught her several times putting the baby in the closet with clothing covering her face.
He was sentenced to 34 years in prison for his role in the crime.
Shultz was indicted by a grand jury. She was found guilty by a jury on Sept. 21, 2017.
A complete list of charges against Shultz includes:
1. Neglect of a Dependent resulting in death
2. Neglect of a Dependent resulting in serious bodily injury
3. Neglect of a Dependent resulting in bodily injury
4. Neglect of a Dependent endangering
5. False informing
6. Failure to report a dead body
9. Obstruction of Justice
- Lafayette woman sentenced to 40 years in prison for the death of her child
- West Lafayette chiropractor sentenced for child solicitation
- Lafayette woman charged with arson sentenced to 6 years
- More deaths questioned at Lafayette man's sentencing
- Gymnastics doctor sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison
- Lafayette rapist sentenced to 23 years
- Lafayette child molestor gets 42 years
- Man sentenced to 3 years in prison for child exploitation, husband still faces trial
- Lafayette man sentenced after pleading guilty to child porn possession
- Jasper Co. man sentenced to 30 years in prison for death of son