LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Lafayette Mayor Tony Roswarski calls the center of Lafayette's entertainment opportunities the three L's: Loeb Stadium, the Long Center, and now the Lafayette Theater.
The city got the go-ahead to buy the property at the Lafayette Redevelopment Commission on Thursday.
Mayor Roswarksi said he has consistently heard that Lafayette lacks in the nightlife and entertainment areas. This has led him to propose that the city buy the old Lafayette Theater for $290,000. Roswarksi said that's a steal of a price as the property was appraised in the $500,000 to $600,000 range.
Mayor Roswarksi hopes the three L's will help improve quality of life for Lafayette residents, as well as bring new visitors to the city.
"Acquiring the Lafayette theater is going to give us that option, we're working with the Long Center, working with the new baseball stadium and the events we'll have there to really be able to coordinate what types of entertainment we bring to the community," he said.
This also comes after popular rapper, Nelly, was scheduled to come to Lafayette to perform in August of 2018, however that event fell through.
Mayor Roswarski said they will be working with people from Purdue's music department on how to develop the venue. In the meantime, the city may shut it down for a period of time for any restoration or updates the theater needs. He emphasized the importance of preserving the history of the building.
Roswarski said this is the perfect opportunity for the city to step in and utilize this property.
"The owners of the building are willing to sell it for a very very reasonable price and we think this is the next opportunity to take Lafayette to the next level in how we do our entertainment and our nightlife," he said.
- Lafayette will buy old Lafayette Theater to help improve entertainment scene
- Lafayette 7 Theater re-opens after renovations
- Lafayette Jiffy Lube enters the art scene
- City of Lafayette working to improve neighborhoods
- Nelly to be rescheduled, concert still happening at Lafayette Theater
- New owner means new rules for Lafayette Theater
- How do downtown business owners feel about the City of Lafayette purchasing Lafayette Theater?
- One shot fired in Lafayette incident; police on scene
- FBI on scene at Lafayette Nanshan America facility
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series