LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — One more bank robbery in Lafayette will break a five-year city record. Thursday's bank robbery at Horizon Bank was the third within the last two months.
Number of robberies within the last five years in Lafayette:
2014 - 2
2015 - 0
2016 - 3
2017 - 1
2018 - 0
2019 - 3
Centier Bank, Regions Bank, and Horizon Bank have all fell victim to recent robberies in the area. These locations are on or near some of Lafayette's busiest roads. Lafayette Police believe with the high traffic in people, the better chance they'll have in catching the criminal. Lafayette Police want you to notice what you notice.
“Bank robberies are one of those crimes that are very commonly solved starting with tips from the public,” said Sgt. Mike Brown, Lafayette Police Community Outreach and Crime Prevention.
Sgt. Brown said they're working with multiple law enforcement agencies inside and outside of Indiana but the best people to help solve the crime are actually the bystanders.
“There were a lot of stores, a lot of vehicle traffic, you know, there are a lot of people who potentially saw this guy,” said Brown.
Sgt. Brown said it's too early in the investigation to know if these robberies are related. What we do know is the person has always been disguised and that they've targeted some of Lafayette busiest banks.
“Generally most of our retail, banking, you know convenience stores all those things are located on major thoroughfares,” said Brown. “Banks aren't alone in that respect but they definitely are located in places where there is easy access in and out.”
As the number of bank robberies increases, Sgt. Brown is asking the community to increase their alertness.
“If you see something that looks out of place, if you notice a person wearing a disguise and it's clear that they're wearing a disguise and they're anywhere near a bank, pay attention and maybe see where they go, where they came from, what kind of car they drive,” said Brown.
News 18 reached out to the three banks affected by the robberies, but no one was able to comment. The Lafayette Police Department tip-line number is 765-807-1200.
- Lafayette sees a significant rise in bank robberies since last year
- Arrest made in West Lafayette bank robbery
- West Lafayette finds ‘significant deficiencies’ in high-rise security after shooting
- Lafayette Police release photos of Regions Bank robbery suspect
- Police seek masked suspect in another Lafayette bank robbery
- Potentially Significant Weekend Snowfall
- Crawfordsville police investigating bank robbery
- Significant Changes and Snow Chances
- LPD investigating South Street bank robbery
- Police searching for Linden bank robbery suspect