TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — We're learning more about a Lafayette man convicted of raping his girlfriend.
Manford Girten was dating the vitim for about seven weeks but it all lead to a night of terror. This isn't his first violent offense.
Since 2005, Manford Girten Junior has been in trouble with the law. In Kentucky, he was convicted every year, sometimes multiple times a year until 2014. Superior Court 2 Judge Steve Meyer took his criminal history into consideration during sentencing.
"That's why we bring the criminal record forward and we do that almost at every sentencing," said Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Patrick Harrington.
But the state is only allowed to bring up prior convictions, not charges or arrests. We learned online that Girten has been accused and acquitted of sexual abuse before. According to the Kentucky New Era, he was known as 'the magic man' after getting away with crimes. He didn't get away with it in Tippecanoe County.
"We're very pleased the jury believed the victim because in these cases it's usually only two people involved," said Harrington.
This victim was smart and brave. She went to the hospital for an examination, showed police her injuries and the condition of her bedroom the night of the struggle. She even recorded an apology from Girten days later.
"That was a crucial piece of evidence for us," said Harrington.
The victim was in the courtroom at the sentencing but she decided not to take the stand. She did write a letter to the judge explaining how this has affected her both emotionally and physically, she was a virgin before the rape.
"He was forcefully holding her down, confinement, intimidation, ripped her clothes off, pinned her wrists behind her, this was a night of terror for our victim," said Harrington.
Girten will serve 20 years in prison and three years on supervised probation.
He will be a registered sex offender for life.
We're told he does plan to appeal the case.
- Lafayette rapist sentenced to 23 years
- HIGHLIGHTS: West Lafayette 74, Frontier 23 (GBB)
- Lafayette mother sentenced for abuse
- Lafayette man convicted of rape sentenced to 13 years
- Lafayette woman charged with arson sentenced to 6 years
- Man gets 30 year prison sentence for Lafayette shooting death
- More deaths questioned at Lafayette man's sentencing
- West Lafayette chiropractor sentenced for child solicitation
- Lafayette man sentenced for armed robbery
- Lafayette man sentenced for Iowa murder