LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Lafayette police say there has been a recent increase in reports for vandalism. It comes in the form of graffiti.
"Look at the trains that go by. Every time you see it goes by, it says something," said Jim Lynch, a Lafayette resident.
Lynch notices graffiti in many places. However, there's one place he certainly doesn't want to see it.
"It's like, don't put it on my house. Don't put it on the back door of somebody else's house."
Lafayette police tell News 18 there has been an increase in reports for graffiti. The vandalism has been happening at various businesses. According to reports, that includes Lowe's, Eastway Liquors and the Pay Less on Greenbush Street.
"In this particular case, over the last several weeks, we've been looking at it. I wouldn't classify it as graffiti per se, more like vandalism. Kids just spray painting stuff," said Sgt. B.T. Brown.
Brown said they believe Mother Nature may have something to do with it.
"It seems to coincide a little bit with the warmer weather," said Brown.
In the city of Lafayette, property owners are required to remove the graffiti within 15 days. Sgt. Brown said the department and city will work with them to get that done.
"We don't want it to hang around and make the businesses look bad or keep it up there and promote that type of stuff," said Brown.
This all comes after police were called to investigate similar vandalism in the downtown area earlier this month.
People are encouraged to call police if they see something suspicious or find graffiti.
- Lafayette police investigate an increase in vandalism reports
- Vandalism spree impacts Lafayette neighborhood
- Lafayette police continue standoff investigation
- Lafayette police increase patrols at LSC
- Lafayette police investigate shooting at Romney Meadows
- Lafayette police investigating 2 overnight stabbings
- West Lafayette Police increase patrols due to threatening banners
- Police seek information on cemetery vandalism
- Indiana train museum vandalized
- Triple stabbing reported in Lafayette