TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A man in custody for several charges in Florida is a suspect in several local sexual assaults. Local detectives said the case spans several years.
Jason Wilhelm of Lafayette is in jail in the Florida Keys. There, his charges include theft, pawning an item that wasn't his, and using someone else's ID.
But investigators believe his crimes started in Lafayette.
According to a report by the Miami Herald, Wilhelm is suspected of using date rape drugs in sexual assaults in Indiana.
In September, the Herald said he arranged to visit an online acquaintance in Tennessee, only to allegedly dose him with a so-called "date rape drug" and rob his house of several guns.
In November, Wilhelm was arrested after trying to pawn a gun in the Florida Keys.
The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's office said they are now working with law enforcement in Tennessee and in Florida on the case. Investigators wouldn't be more specific about the nature or time frame of the local assaults.
Wilhelm can expect a lengthy legal process ahead, due to the many allegations over multiple states. His current bond is a combined $125,000.
- Lafayette man suspected in long string of sexual assaults
- Charges filed against Lafayette man in sexual assault case
- Elkhart man suspected in string of Indiana and Michigan robberies
- Police looking for suspect in downtown Lafayette car theft, assault
- Suspect arrested in string of Logansport church burglaries
- PUPD looking for suspects in overnight burglary string
- Police investigate sexual assault on woman
- Lafayette man charged after alleged sexual relationship with a minor
- Prosecutors: Lafayette man had ongoing sexual relationship with teen
- West Lafayette man sentenced for sexual misconduct with a minor