TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A Lafayette man who police say nearly collided with an ISP trooper’s cruiser will be facing multiple charges.
According to court documents, on Dec. 20 at around noon, an Indiana State Police trooper was traveling south on State Road 25 near US 231 when he was cut off by another vehicle.
Police said the other vehicle slowed down at the intersection of SR 25 and County Road 100 West but did not stop. The trooper had to quickly brake to avoid a collision as the vehicle made a turn in front of his cruiser.
The trooper then pulled the vehicle over which was being driven by 30-year-old Michael Burnett.
Police say that the temporary registration tag had been altered and did not match the vehicle in which it was displayed. Burnett’s driver’s license was also found to have been suspended.
As the trooper approached the vehicle to check the VIN number, he noticed the odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.
A search turned up a Clonazepam pill, a bag containing methamphetamine and a spoon with residue on it. A loaded handgun was also found in the driver’s side door of the vehicle for which Burnett did not have a license.
Police say Burnett admitted to having used meth a few hours earlier.
Burnett has been charged with carrying a handgun without a license, possession of methamphetamine, possession of a controlled substance, carrying a handgun without a license, driving while suspended, and having an altered interim license plate.
Due to Burnett’s prior felony convictions, he has also been charged with being a habitual offender.
- Lafayette man faces possession charges after gun, drugs found during traffic stop
- Lafayette traffic stop leads to drug dealing arrest, charges
- Indiana teacher charged with drug possession
- Lafayette man charged after drugs found in car
- Lafayette man accused of possessing child pornography
- Traffic stop leads to discovery of drugs
- Traffic stop leads to large drug bust
- Lafayette man facing charges of child molesting
- West Lafayette man faces battery charges
- Lafayette man faces felony child molesting charges.