LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A Lafayette man is under arrest after a standoff with police Friday morning. Around 9:45 a.m. the Lafayette Police Department assisted caseworkers with the Department of Child Services on an on-going investigation in the 3300-block of South 18th Street.
During the call, 63-year-old Timothy Ferguson, pointed a firearm at a police officer as authorities conducted their investigation into the well-being of a 7-year-old child, who also lived in the home. This led police to close a section of 18th Street for several hours while the situation unfolded. It resulted in the SWAT team and investigators were called to a home and leaving neighbors questioning their safety.
Neighbor Daisy Brown said it was the first thing she heard.
"I woke up this morning and my brother came in and told me that the police were outside," Brown said. "I saw them all outside and I didn't know what to expect."
No shots were fired and the officer successfully moved the DCS workers to safety, outside the home. Police maintained a perimeter until SWAT units and negotiators arrived to assist closing a section of 18th Street for several hours. Police were able to talk Ferguson into exiting the home and he was taken into custody without incident.
Neighbor Chris Sullivan said the situation was properly taken care of.
"It was kind of concerning because it wasn't that far," Sullivan said. "I mean I know the police got it handled."
Ferguson was arrested for Intimidation with a Firearm and Neglect of a Dependent. Both a level 5 Felony.
Police continue to investigate the matter. There were no injuries and the child was removed from the home and is safe.
Unrelated to the event, police also arrested 38-year-old Felicia Powell who was also found in the home, for an outstanding arrest warrant for a driving offense.
- Lafayette man arrested after 18th St. standoff
- Lafayette man arrested after standoff
- 18th St. standoff over: Four detained, including potential suspect
- Man with machete arrested after 90-minute standoff with Lafayette police
- Lafayette police continue standoff investigation
- 18th Street SWAT situation ends with arrest
- Man arrested after 2-hour standoff with police
- Lafayette police arrest woman after hours long standoff
- Hours-long Lafayette SWAT standoff ends with arrest
- Man stabbed at 18th and Morton