LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Water rates for Lafayette residents could be increasing. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission held a public hearing at Lafayette Rohrman Performing Arts Center Wednesday night. It was a chance for Lafayette neighbors to give feedback on the proposed water rate increase.
Water rates in Lafayette have not increased in almost two decades. However, that could soon change.
On Wednesday, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission was ready to hear public comment about the water rate hike. However, no one showed up to speak out.
The city's pending request would raise water rates in two phases. Homeowners using 5,000 gallons of water a month would notice the hike. Rates would go from $12.13 to $16.51. Then, the price would rise to $18.31 when phase two takes effect.
"We are cognizant of the fact that it's been some 17 years since the city of Lafayette had a change in its base water rates," said Anthony Swinger, an OUCC Spokesperson. "That's quite a long time to go. So, we're keeping that in mind as we do our review and look at all aspects of the request."
Residents can still send in their comments about the rate hike to the OUCC by Feb. 8. The commission will then file the testimony by Feb. 15.
The commission is expected to send its recommendation to the city by sometime next week. They will make their final decision by this summer.
For more information about where to submit written comments visit this website. www.in.gov/oucc/2361.htm.
- Lafayette leaders discuss water rate hike at public hearing
- Public hearing being held for Lafayette's proposed water rate increase
- After 16 years, Lafayette proposes another water rate hike
- Lafayette water customers closer to seeing rate hike
- Water utility seeks rate hike for $542M in infrastructure
- New Income Tax Rate Being Discussed
- Consumer advocate seeks input on proposed NIPSCO rate hikes
- Indiana Finance Authority OKs new Toll Road deal, rate hike
- Public hearing for S.R. 28 rehabilitation project
- Hunger Hike held at Riehle Plaza in Lafayette