WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Saturday you'll have the opportunity to get free gas. It's all with help from a Lafayette church community doing random acts of kindness this week.
Second Baptist Church in Lafayette is starting an initiative called, 'Love on Lafayette'. People from this church are being encouraged to do something positive in the community.
"In any way they can," said Pastor Charles Walter. "Whether it's giving them extra money for a tip, whether it's cutting their grass, whether it's maybe paying for somebody's groceries. Just that week we want to Love on Lafayette. We want to just do something positive for people that we come in contact with."
Walter said doing this shows there is a church that loves them and is here for them. His hope is for other people and organizations around Greater Lafayette to get involved.
The church will wrap up the week Saturday, April 28 with a gas giveaway at Valero on Old U.S. 231 in Lafayette. $1,600 in gas will be given away. Each person will receive $10 worth of gas starting Saturday at 11 a.m.
"We recognize $10 isn't going to fill up somebody's tank, but our goal is to hopefully fill up somebody's heart with joy knowing that the church if here for it and is willing to come along side and provide for that basic need," Walter said.
- Lafayette church plans to give away $1,600 in gas Saturday
- Lafayette church hosts Easter Extravaganza
- Lafayette Jefferson graduate gives back
- Lafayette gas station robbed Monday morning
- Residents evacuated in Lafayette gas line break
- Lafayette church getting a $480,000 facelift
- Lafayette Honor Flight organization gives back
- Lafayette bar owner giving out free rides
- Small Business Saturday takes over downtown Lafayette
- West Lafayette silent bike auction happening Saturday