LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- A local organization celebrated its culture Saturday.
The Indian Women's Association of Lafayette put on an event to highlight its traditions. Members of the IWA performed popular dances and songs for everyone in attendance.
The performers ranged from children to adults. The event took place at Sunnyside Intermediate School in Lafayette. Trustee Rwitti Roy said this event helps the children involved learn about their cultural customs.
"So we do this big celebration so children can get to see a part of what is being celebrated in India and sort of assimilate into that culture, you know, feel a sense of belonging to their roots," Roy said.
The IWA raises thousands of dollars each year in order to give back to the community.
- Lafayette celebrates Indian culture
- Indian & International Grocery opens in West Lafayette
- Comic and pop culture convention comes to Lafayette
- Tree Lafayette hosts annual Arbor Day Celebration
- Ivy Tech Lafayette students celebrate 2018 commencement
- West Lafayette celebrates class of 2018
- Lafayette Citizens Band performs Memorial Day celebration
- International Overdose Awareness Day celebrated in Lafayette
- Lafayette's New YMCA Celebrates Grand Opening
- Latino Festival brings cultures from all over the world together for celebration