LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A four-year-old Lafayette boy is honored after his quick thinking saved his family from a house fire.
It all started about three weeks ago. That's when Henry Murray used skills learned from LFD's fire prevention show to save the lives of his parents and brother.
Friday, the department honored Henry with a life saving award.
"I'm going to be a fireman and the police," Henry explained.
Murray knows what he wants to be when he grows up, but the four year old is already a hero.
"I saw a fire and then went to tell mommy there was a fire," he said.
"He said, 'There's a fire in my room mommy,'" explained Henry's mother, Kim Murray.
Henry's parents say a space heater caught fire while the family was sleeping.
He smelled the smoke and saw the flames, but he knew what to do thanks to the Lafayette Fire Department.
"We're forever indebted to that program," said Kim. "I mean, because that's where he had the knowledge for that situation."
Back in October, Henry learned about fire safety through LFD's fire prevention show at Jeff High School.
His father, Ben Murray, said he owes his life to the educational program.
"You never know at the time, that time and energy they're putting into it, whose lives are going to be saved," said Ben.
The Murray's encourage all parents and children to take part in the fire prevention show.
Without it, they shudder to think what could have happened.
"I'm very thankful and I'm very proud of Henry," said Kim. "Years later, he will understand his actions. Right now, he just thinks it's cool he gets to see the firemen."
When it comes to fire safety, Henry has some advice for kids who see smoke or flames.
"Tell their mommy and daddy," explained Henry.
"Just like you did?" asked News 18's Samantha Thieke.
"Mmmhmm," he said.
Assistant Chief Brian Alkire said Henry's actions show how education can save lives.