LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—Between 2017 and 2019 aggravated assaults have gone up thirty percent.
This year police have responded to 24 cases of shots fired and 11 shooting incidents.
That's compared to 18 cases of shots fired in 2017.
"When we compare the data across the last three years,” said Lafayette Police Sergeant Mike Brown. “2017, 2018, 2019 to date, we are showing an increase."
Brown said while there has been an increase, there aren't any particular areas of the city where crime seems to be prevalent.
"There's commercial out in the east part of the city,” said Brown. “But there's also residential on the east part of the city. So the incidents are spread out."
The map below gives an idea of where many assaults and homicides have happened within the last year.
Brown said it's important to note that many of the places people may think are crime heavy, aren't so much.
"If you remove the emotional aspect about a particular neighborhood and only look at the numbers there doesn't appear to be any kind of hot spots within in the city,” said Brown.
People like Felicia Lopez agree. She said she hasn't noticed a lot of violence.
"I don't really hear a whole lot of things where like oh I was at the wrong place and a shooting happened,” said Lopez.
Lopez said in the grand scheme of things she counts Lafayette as being a pretty safe place.
"I've heard stories of other places like Chicago and Puerto Rico and I'm like oh my gosh we don't have it that bad out here,” said Lopez.
Neighbor Bill Furr says it's all about the people who come to the area.
"Coming and going. Moving in or moving out,” said Furr. “It's always people coming from other areas too."
Brown said the department is always being progressive by monitoring and collecting data.
"We have some members of our department that are focused almost solely on monitoring these types of complaints,” said Brown.
Brown said they do not expect to see a huge increase by the end of 2019.
- Lafayette Police seeing an increase in crime stats
- Lafayette Police release preliminary crime stats for 2019
- INTERESTING SEVERE WEATHER STATS
- Lafayette crime statistics decreasing
- Lafayette police increase patrols at LSC
- West Lafayette Police increase patrols due to threatening banners
- Lafayette police investigate an increase in vandalism reports
- Hate crimes increased by 17% in 2017, FBI report finds
- A look at crime in Lafayette so far in 2018
- Federal jury finds Lafayette man guilty of child porn crimes