LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette police no longer need the public's help finding whoever is responsible for an alleged attempted abduction Tuesday.
Detectives determined inconsistencies with the initial report made to officers.
A 13-year-old girl reported she walked home by herself from school around 5 p.m. when she said people tried to abduct her on South 14th between South and Central Streets.
She said a four door “old modeled” black truck pulled up to her with four passengers in the car.
She said when they first told her to get into the car, she ignored them and kept walking. She then saw one of the backseat passengers pull out a semi-automatic gun on her.
She said she heard one of them say to her, “get in the car or we will kill you.” She said she then fled the scene and hid in a backyard until it was safe. She made it to her home a few blocks north of where the incident took place and was able to contact police with what occurred.
The young teen even gave detailed descriptions of the people involved.
However, Friday, police said they are concluding the investigation after looking into it.
"Police have not discovered any evidence to indicate this incident occurred and have identified information to indicate the report was not factual in nature," said LPD Lt. Scott Galloway. "The Lafayette Police Department values the concern and assistance from the community. There is no danger or threat to the community in regards to this alleged incident."
- Lafayette police say attempted teen abduction was false
- Advertisement falsely includes police in Lafayette
- A Lafayette woman charged after attempted robbery
- Lafayette man found guilty of attempted murder
- Attempted abduction at gunpoint reported by girl walking home from school
- Four suspects on the loose involved in a reported attempted abduction
- Lafayette teen dies in single-vehicle crash
- LPD: Man arrested after attempting to rob Lafayette Olive Garden
- WATCH: Attempted home entry video in West Lafayette
- Lafayette police continue standoff investigation