LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — People living on the south side of Lafayette are concerned about their safety after shots were fired five different times in one week.
“I think it’s unusual the number we’ve had in a short period of time,” said Sergeant Mike Brown of the Lafayette Police Department.
Police said they've gathered significant physical evidence from each crime scene, like shell casings and video footage.
“It’s definitely inconsistent with our trends,” said Brown.
In the last four days, five separate shots fired related incidents events have taken place. That includes three shooting incidents on May 19, a house shot up on May 21, and another shots fired incident on May 23. All in three were in different neighborhoods near the south side.
“You can identify parts of the city, neighborhoods that may experience higher levels of crime than other areas,” said brown. “But again this number of shootings is an anomaly.”
According to Sgt. Mike Brown, these investigations are now based on witness interviews.
“It basically boils down to how many people can give us information,” said Brown.
People like Robert Ray experienced the shots fired first hand.
“It sounded to me to be like a bunch of firecrackers that went off,” said Ray.
He lives in the neighborhood involved in the May 21st incident. He said after living there for fifteen years, it’s unusual for this to happen.
“It’s very unusual,” said Ray. “Very unusual for gun play, gun fire to be going on around here.”
Matthew Rund lives in the neighborhood involved in the May 23 shots fired. He’s concerned not only for himself but for his kids.
“Well yea we got a bunch of kids in the house,” said Rund. “So we’re definitely concerned about shooting. Bullets could go into these houses.”
According to Lafayette police, the three shooting incidents that took place on May 19th are related. Police believe the last two shots fired situations are unrelated.
If you have any information regarding any of the cases being investigated you are urged to call the tip line at (765) 807-1200.
- Lafayette Police investigating five different shooting incidents in one week
- Lafayette police investigating shooting incident on city's east-side
- Police investigating incident involving knife
- Lafayette police investigate shooting at Romney Meadows
- Lafayette police investigating early morning shooting
- Lafayette police continue standoff investigation
- Lafayette Police investigating a stabbing
- One shot fired in Lafayette incident; police on scene
- LPD investigates three shooting incidents that appear to be related
- Police investigating homicide near downtown Lafayette