LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette Police Officer Bill Meluch was laid to rest today at St. Boniface Cemetery in Lafayette. His funeral was held at St. Lawrence Catholic Church.
Officer Meluch died last week on Christmas Day after fighting cancer for more than a year.
News 18 spoke with LPD officers at his funeral mass, who shared memories of Meluch that they want to live on.
“Bill was the guy that was always the one to show up whenever anyone needed anything. He was the one that when you had to move, if only one guy showed up from the department to help you move he was the guy,” said LPD Officer Steven Prothero.
Officer Prothero was one of many to confirm Meluch's passion for helping serve not only other officers but the community.
“He was a great friend but also a great officer. He was great with the community. He did a lot of community stuff with the kids,” said LPD Officer Matt Meeks.
Officer Meeks spent a lot of time with Meluch in and outside of work. He said a conversation about baseball is what sparked their friendship.
“The first night he road with me he was bragging how the Cubs ended up beating the Yankees and I stopped the car and told him he had to get out and walk back so after that we had a connection,” said Meeks.
LPD Officers said they'll miss his fun loving personality.
“Bill always kept us in stitches, he was a very funny man and I enjoyed his humor and he was a great guy,” said LPD Officer John Townsend.
LPD Chief of Police, Patrick Flannelly said LPD won't be moving forward without Meluch but with him in their hearts as they head back to duty.
“He'll always be with us and we're always going to remember him and I think that's something special for all of just to keep in mind is that we honor him through our continued service,” said Flannelly. “And everything that Bill stood for is what we can all hope to strive for ourselves.”
Law enforcement from West Lafayette, Purdue and Tippecanoe County covered LPD's duties during the funeral.
- Lafayette Police Officers remember the life of Officer Bill Meluch
- LPD remembers the legacy Officer Bill Meluch leaves behind
- West Lafayette police officer receives prestigious award
- Lafayette police provide birthday ride to remember
- Greater Lafayette remembers Pearl Harbor
- Lafayette police officer struck in accidental shooting released from hospital
- New officers sworn in to Lafayette Police Department
- West Lafayette Police Department swears in newest patrol officer
- Frankfort officers honored after saving man's life
- TCCC officers recognized for saving a life