LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI)—Hard-work and dedication are two concepts that have encouraged the Lafayette Jeff Motorsports Club.
"We can say to our next employer hey we have this under our belt it's something you can probably look into,” said group member Alex Murrieta.
The high mileage program has been in existence at Lafayette Jeff for nearly 20 years.
This innovative group of students is comprised of future scientists, engineers, and technicians.
"When I found out that Jeff High School, the school I was going to have a racing program and an automotive program I was like I am definitely taking it,” said group member Nathan Franklin.
The group competed in the Indiana Super Mileage Engineering Challenge in April, Driver Saul Alvarez spent four hours in the race.
"My goal was to do the best I could for the team,” said Alvarez. “Since I was coming in new I didn't want to let anybody down.”
There's never been a school in the State of Indiana to break passed 1,870 miles per gallon. JHS Motor Sports did that reaching 2,077 miles per gallon. The group also took first, second, and third place in division one.
"The hardest part for me specifically was making sure I could drive the car well,” said Alvarez.
Students researched different engines and chose one based on cost and efficiency, then designed and created their own vehicle. The goal was to modify the engine in hopes of reaching better gas mileage.
"Hopefully as time goes on we'll be able to make stuff like this and more fuel efficient for the future,” said Murrieta.
With the help of local sponsors the students were able to compete. Now they're thankful for the skills they'll carry with them forever.
The team also qualified for nationals where they would have competed against colleges.
But it wasn't able to compete due to lack of funding.
If you'd like to donate for future competitions, you can contact Lafayette Jefferson High School.
- Lafayette Jefferson's Motorsports Club breaks state record
- Lafayette Jefferson Motorsports team competes at evGrandPrix
- Lafayette Jefferson graduate gives back
- Lafayette Jefferson Marching Bronchos named class champions
- Lafayette Jefferson Marching Bronchos headed to state finals
- Lafayette Jefferson high school host xtreme choir show down
- Purdue breaks record giving with $451 million
- Purdue holds record breaking 'Challenge' 5K
- Purdue breaks 'Day of Giving' Record.... Again!