LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The Lafayette Jefferson Marching Bronchos are the 2019 the ISSMA Scholastic Class A Champions. The group competed at the championship contest Saturday night at Lawrence Central High School in Indianapolis.
The weather was so bad, they had to compete indoors, and the Marching Bronchos were named champions of their class. Students spend hours perfecting the show, starting all the way back over the summer. They compete in shows across the state to prepare them for finals.
For the seniors, they said this is a proud legacy they will get to leave behind.
"It's a really good feeling to wrap up our senior year with a big win like this," said Senior Skeyler Sumrall.
"It was definitely exciting after all these years of working hard and building up to this moment to be state champions is amazing," said fellow Senior Callie Ramsey. Both Sumrall and Ramsey were drum majors for this year's group.
Jeff's show this year was called "The Persistence of Time." Band Director Chris Paulson explained that it was an artistic expression of the inevitability of time and the decisions we make throughout our lives. He said they couldn't have reached their success without the support of others.
"It was a great way to cap off what has been a really great season," he said. "You have to always be thoughtful about the hard work that our students, our parents and our staff is doing. It's a well-oiled machine, none of it happens with the work of one person."
He also shared his appreciation to the administration at LSC and Lafayette Jeff for their continued support of the arts and the band program. He said this was the Marching Bronchos first state title and he hopes it will help to inspire the next generation of performers.
- Lafayette Jefferson Marching Bronchos named class champions
- Lafayette Jefferson Marching Bronchos headed to state finals
- Lafayette Jefferson graduate gives back
- Lafayette Jefferson's Motorsports Club breaks state record
- Lafayette Jefferson Motorsports team competes at evGrandPrix
- Lafayette girl chosen as 2020 Riley Champion
- West Lafayette three-peats as sectional champions
- Lafayette Jefferson high school host xtreme choir show down
- City of Lafayette looking to revitalize the Jefferson Neighborhood
- The Jefferson High School class of 1969 came together for 50 year reunion