LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Mark Barnhizer did not to make a substitution the entire first half.
With his team trailing 35-27 at halftime, the Lafayette Jeff first-year head coach made an adjustment to begin the third quarter. Barnizer looked to his bench for a spark.
He got it from Matt Jones.
The junior Jones finished with nine points and six rebounds to help Lafayette Jeff repeat as champions of the Franciscan Health Hoops Classic with a 76-73 win over Central Catholic at the Crawley Center.
"In the locker room coach kind of got on us about not playing hard," said Jones. We decided to come out and change that. We started playing hard."
Jones and Lafayette Jeff outscored CC 23-10 in the third quarter.
"We weren't playing as aggressive as we needed to be, said Hoops Classic MVP Brooks Barnhizer. "We kind of switched that and then on the offensive end we got a little more movement. We got a few more good looks and we capitalized on those."
Ashton Beaver scored a game-high 20 points, Avery Beaver chipped in 19 points and Barnhizer had 17 points and five rebounds for the Bronchos.
Carsen Barrett posted a triple-double with 12 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists in the loss for the Knights.
- Lafayette Jeff outlasts Central Catholic to win Hoops Classic title
- Harrison tops Jeff for Hoops Classic title
- Lafayette Jeff, Benton Central advance in Franciscan Health Hoops Classic
- HIGHLIGHTS: Lafayette Jeff wins Girls Hoops Classic championship
- Central Catholic, Benton Central capture sectional titles
- HIGHLIGHTS: Lafayette Jeff 78, Central Catholic 71 (BBB)
- Lafayette Jeff tops West Lafayette 41-40 to claim Franciscan Health Hoops Classic championship
- Blackhawk Christian cruises past Central Catholic, wins semi-state title
- HIGHLIGHTS: Girls Hoops Classic (Semifinals)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic volleyball claims 5th-straight regional title