LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The Lafayette Historic Preservation Commission gave its stamp of approval tonight for the next phase of a major downtown renovation. The city is about to start phase three of the Main Street Streetscape project.
The first two phases of the project have slowly been upgrading sidewalks and infrastructure along Main Street and in the downtown area. Phase three will update Main Street between 10th and 11th Streets, and 10th Street between Columbia and Ferry Streets.
John Collier is the Assistant Director of Economic Development for the City of Lafayette. He said since the areas for phase three are in a local historic district, the city needs the approval of this commission.
"Any conspicuous change must be reviewed and approved by the Historic Preservation Commission so that the integrity of the historic district can be maintained," he said. "It's really important."
Conspicuous changes include the benches, tree wells, lights and bike racks. Since the commission has already approved these same changes for previous phases, it was passed easily.
The commission voted to approve all the design components included in the phase three project except for one small section of sidewalk pavement in front of a building on Main Street between 9th and 10th Streets. A recommendation for an alternative material will be provided by the project's design consultant and forwarded to the commission for its final review and approval.
Collier said the city will probably have a bid out around the November-December time. He said they hope to start construction on phase three this spring.
- Lafayette Historic Preservation Commission approves Streetscape Phase Three
- Bids for phase six of Streetscape project postponed
- Tippecanoe County working to preserve historic home
- Lafayette Redevelopment Commission approves tax abatement for Caterpillar's renovation plan
- Wabash Walls project approved for phase two
- Historic church in Logansport working towards preservation grant
- Keeping Lafayette's historical structures safe
- Main Street Streetscape next steps will help enhance infrastructure
- Final phase approved for Columbian Park's Memorial Island project
- West Lafayette city hall and recreation center planning phase