LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- The Lafayette Fire Department held its annual “Shop with a Firefighter” at the east side Meijer in Lafayette.
More than 75 kids partnered with Lafayette firemen as they filled their carts with items. “Shop with a Firefighter” serves the purpose of making sure kids in the community have what they need for the colder season.
Trent Richter, President of Professional Firefighters Local 472 has been apart of the event for 20 years. He said it's always great seeing the kids getting things they need.
“It tugs at the heartstrings, it really does.. there's times that you know you're doing the right thing when they're opening and get to see all the stuff that they can't probably get, their parents can't afford to get for them,” said Richter.
Richter said, not only do the kids take something away from the event but so do the firefighters.
“It's the good part of the job. We deal with a lot of tragedy and we only see people on their worst days and what this is, is to get to the kids on the good days,” said Richter.
The kids who participated are involved in a program called 'Christmas for All' through Faith Church. This year, firefighters spent a total of nearly $20,000 on the kids. All the money was raised through donations and fundraisers.
The Lafayette Fire Department is the first to bring an event that's focused on kids in the community getting an opportunity to shop with a person in service.
- Lafayette Fire Department spends nearly $20K for 'Shop with a Firefighter' event
- Lafayette Fire Department remembers fallen firefighters with ceremony
- Lafayette Fire Department inspector receives statewide award
- Lafayette Firefighter promoted to sergeant
- Lafayette Fire Department unveils new fire and rescue unit
- Lafayette Fire Department's New Years Resolution: Prevent Deadly House Fires
- Lafayette Fire Department ranks within top one percent of fire departments across the nation
- Purdue and West Lafayette Fire Departments officially team up
- Lafayette Fire Department smoke alarm saves woman's home
- Lafayette firefighter aids in East Coast hurricane