LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) – Officials have canceled the 2018 Lafayette Christmas Parade. According to a press release, With a forecast of significant rainfall and dangerous lightning and winds, the City of Lafayette, Greater Lafayette Commerce and Tippecanoe Emergency Management Agency regret to announce that the Christmas Parade scheduled for Saturday, December 1, has been canceled.
Officials said safety is their top priority and the possibility of an evacuation of a large crowd from the downtown staging area could prove both difficult and dangerous.
Unfortunately, due to the size of the parade and the number of participants, it makes it impossible to reschedule for this year. Going forward, the planning committee will discuss the possibility of adding a makeup date in the event of another necessary weather-related cancellation.
Any indoor events that are scheduled in the downtown area will not be affected by the cancelation.
- Lafayette Christmas Parade has officially been canceled
- Lafayette Christmas Parade Forecast
- Plans for the downtown Lafayette Christmas parade
- Rescheduled Lafayette Nelly concert officially cancelled
- City of Lafayette gears up for annual Christmas parade
- Christmas parade spreads holiday cheer
- LPD prepares for annual Christmas Parade
- Lafayette Urban Ministry Jubilee Christmas Preview
- Annual Memorial Day Parade kicks off in Lafayette
- Lafayette Jeff band performs in Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade