LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — More than 200 people came out to the Lafayette Aviators Baseball community field day Sunday afternoon.
This is the first time the team has hosted an event like this. The team is celebrating its final season at the current Loeb Stadium.
As we reported, Loeb Stadium will undergo a $17 million renovation project set to be complete next year.
Lafayette Aviators General Manager Zach Chartrand said the event’s turn out was beyond what they expected.
“We weren't really sure what to expect because it's not a ticketed event, we just opened up the doors and had people come on in,” said Chartrand. “The weather was perfect so we couldn't have asked for a better day and really everyone has responded terrifically, we had a line out the door when we opened up and we had people coming in nonstop ever since.”
The Aviators and Purdue's Boiler Communication team partnered to create this event. Account Executive Brock Martin said his team is excited to be behind this movement.
“This is the first time that we're doing this and so I think this and so I think this is really awesome to be able to kind of set the foundation for something that can grow every year, and something that the whole community can kind of rally behind,” said Martin.
The Lafayette Aviator's plan to make the community field day a tradition in the community.
- Lafayette Aviators Baseball hosts field day for community
- Purdue hosts "Hemp Field Day"
- Lafayette Aviators spent baseball season benefiting non-profits
- Lafayette Aviators in need of host families for 2018 season
- LPD and Lafayette Aviators host 'National Night Out'
- Lafayette Aviators have a new owner
- Lafayette Aviators open 2019 season Thursday
- Aviation Day gives public an uncommon opportunity
- Aviation Day held at the Purdue Airport
- Downtown Lafayette host OutFest