OXFORD, Ind. (WLFI) — In just a few days, Northwestern and Benton Central will go head-to-head in the Class 3A state championship. Ahead of the game, the Lady Bison got quite the surprise.
Following practice Thursday, BC was picked up in a stretch limo to ride to a team dinner in style.
Everyone expected Northwestern to get to Bankers Life Fieldhouse this season, but no one expected a second Hoosier Conference team to make it.
Northwestern has lost just three games all season. Two losses were to teams in Ohio, and the other was to 4A North Central in Indianapolis.
Benton Central stunned Chartard in a regional semifinal match up on a game-winning shot from Emma Fisher. It upset Danville on it's home floor later that day for a regional championship, and went down to Jasper and beat Salem in semi-state.
David Baxter's bunch knows anything is possible Saturday night.
"We have no pressure going in," said Emma Fisher. "We've got nothing to lose. We give them our best game and give us a fighter's chance. We're excited. They're a really great opponent and we're hoping to bring it all and give them a good run for their money."
"We've been the underdog like we were in regional and since we defeated Danville in the regional championship but I don't think it's playing much of a role," said Tressa Senesac. "I think we're just going to go in there and try our best."
"Our kids have been the underdog in the sectional, in the regional, the semi-state," said Coach Baxter. "They're (Northwestern) playing with house money. We don't have any pressure. We're just excited about the opportunity to play on this stage and let the rest of the state know how hard these girls work."
The Class 3A state final is scheduled to tip at 6 p.m.
- Benton Central gets surprise ride ahead of state championship
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic vs. Benton Central (BBB)
- Central Catholic, Benton Central capture sectional titles
- McCutcheon baseball blanks Benton Central
- Benton Central celebrates 50th anniversary
- Benton Central tops Salem, advances to state title game Saturday
- Benton Central girls basketball team head to state
- Benton Central tops West Lafayette 44-39
- HIGHLIGHTS: Benton Central 49, McCutcheon 44 (GBB)
- Benton Central's McMillan headed to Alabama A&M