LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette police have arrested two murder suspects who are accused of stabbing a 57-year-old man in an Alabama Street home. The Tippecanoe County Coroner found 54 stab wounds on Charles Sandefur's body.
Police arrested Thomas Loveless, 28, and Matthew Mace, 29, Friday on a preliminary charge of murder.
According to Lt. Matt Gard, detectives said Sandefur's debit card was used at the Village Pantry at 1008 South 4th Street on Dec. 9. That is just days before a landlord found Sandefur's body. That purchase led police to Loveless and Mace Wednesday, who are also facing a preliminary fraud charge for the purchase.
Police were called to an apartment located at 619 Alabama Street on Dec. 13. Officers found a man dead of stab wounds. The coroner said Sandefer appeared to have been dead for several weeks. Lt. Gard was unable to say Friday when the original crime happened.
Lt. Gard could not comment further on the charges.
- LPD makes arrests in the killing of a man stabbed 54 times
- Court documents reveal details in the killing of a man stabbed 54 times
- LPD makes arrest in child solicitation case
- LPD: Woman arrested after stabbing ex-husband with steak knife
- LPD investigating overnight stabbing near Columbian Park
- LPD: Man suspected of killing in Romney Meadows arrested
- LPD makes arrests in overnight shots fired incident
- Update: LPD located "endangered" man
- Lafayette man arrested after stabbing
- LPD investigates late night stabbing on Main Street