LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette police are investigating a shooting and burglary where the victim flagged them down on the street.
According to Lt. Scott McCoy, an officer on patrol was flagged down Thursday morning by Rich Whichmann about 8:15. Police confirmed one person was injured and property was taken. Detectives did not release what was stolen.
Whichmann alleges he was staying the night at his father's house on Brady Lane. Whichmann said he left for coffee Thursday morning and when he returned, he said there were three men inside the home.
Whichmann then said one of the men pulled out a gun and shot him near the chest. Whichmann was taken to a hospital. The suspects have not been arrested and police are still investigating.
Neighbors told News 18 they saw Whichmann leave in an ambulance. They said he didn’t look severely injured and was walking fine.
Residents living in the area are now concerned that their neighborhood is changing.
Terry Dickey lives just a few houses down from the where the incident happened. He said he was up doing things around the house when he heard a loud noise.
"When I woke up I was just doing some chores around the house," said Dickey. "Heard a loud pop and ran outside to see what was going on."
A woman living right across the street from the home wished to not be identified. She told News 18 that she isn't surprise at what happened.
"There's definitely been a lot of new people moving into the neighborhood. People walking down the street late at night."
She said it wasn't long ago that someone tried walking in through her back door. While she was home.
"It appeared that he was intoxicated and just out of it. So with this situation happening it does make me feel a little more unsafe."
- Shooting and robbery reported in incident on Brady Lane
- Brady Lane reopens after crash involving CityBus and 4 vehicles
- LPD Detectives: The incident was not a robbery
- Armed robbery reported on Lafayette's east side
- Uber releases safety report revealing 5,981 incidents of sexual assault
- Senate confirms Brady as federal judge in Northern Indiana
- LPD investigates three shooting incidents that appear to be related
- Lafayette Police investigating five different shooting incidents in one week
- Owners of The Hub On Campus respond to shooting incident
- Police investigating incident involving knife