LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- A Lafayette woman has firefighters to thank for saving her home.
Many homeowners and tenants may not think twice about checking their smoke alarms. From electric heaters to gas stoves, it's an issue that is continuing to raise the number deaths in Indiana at an alarming rate.
Before, a smoke alarm went off in her home on Sunday, Quetina Hill never thought to check her smoke alarms.
Just two weeks before the incident, the fire department installed the smoke alarm.
The Lafayette Fire Department arrived at her home in less than 2 minutes to the scene. She had fallen asleep and forgot to turn off her stove. The smoke from the food set off the smoke detector.
Hill says she is thankful the alarm woke her up.
"Oh it's a great thing, cause I probably wouldn't have woken up when I did so I'm glad they did come in that time."
The alarms offered by the fire department are free and the the department offers instillation.
Fire Investigator Todd Trent says they will come into your home.
"We check your batteries, we check placement, we make sure the alarm is only good for ten years, on the back side they have a born on date," Trent said.
The Photo and Ion alarm they offer can detect danger, even if you cannot see flames.
Trent says this gives everyone a chance to get out safely.
"You have less than 50% after 3 minutes after that smoke detector sounds that you will make it out safely."
Quetina Hill says keeping her family safe is her number one priority.
"I've got kids I've gotta thinking about them before anything."
For more information on where you can receive you free smoke detector, visit the Lafayette Fire Department's website: https://www.lafayette.in.gov/720/Home-Safety-Fire-Prevention