WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — West Lafayette junior quarterback Kyle Adams stepped into the starting role for head coach Shane Fry in 2018, after learning from a few of the best.
"Getting to learn from them, being behind them," said Adams.
Who is Adams is talking about?
Mikey Kidwell and Luke Touloukian, quarterbacks from West Side's past, who helped guide Adams into the future.
"Their ability to extend to make plays, and watching that, I just tried to learn and build off that," said Adams. "Then also their decision making, making the right reads, going through the progressions."
He's also been taking advice from someone else on the sideline every Friday night.
"My dad's been there since, he's the one who taught me how to throw a football," said Adams. "He's been there critiquing me, and still after every game he'll have his notes, he'll have a few things he'll write down for me that I need to work on."
While Adams builds a legacy of his own on the field, he's also recognized off of it.
"4.0 student in the classroom, 4.0 student on the football field, it's awesome," said Fry, who also coached Kidwell and Touloukian to success.
Fry recognizes the rarity of an athlete like Adams, who leads not only a successful team, but a selfless one.
"I think it brings up the whole morale," said senior receiver Kyle Hazell. "If you have a quarterback who knows what he's doing and knows the system, and is knowledgeable about the offense."
That knowledge has allowed Adams to throw for 14 touchdowns through four games in 2018, and his receivers know why.
"Kyle Adams has definitely one of the best work ethics on this team," said junior receiver Harrison Truitt. "That is inspiring for us."
From Kidwell, to Touloukian, to this Friday night, Adams is living out his dream.
"He from day one has wanted to be the starting quarterback here and has worked his tail off, to get to this point," said Fry. "Now it's his turn and he's ready."
- Kyle Adams leads the way for West Lafayette
- West Lafayette QB Kyle Adams commits to James Madison
- Trail of blood leads police to West Lafayette burglary suspect
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette native makes history
- WL's Kyle Hazell signs with Dayton
- Lafayette and West Lafayette team up for pedestrian trail funding
- Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette invites you to 2019 Tourism Tailgate
- West Lafayette leaf pickup begins Tuesday