TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI)- Area students and families are learning there's more to health than meets the eye. Klondike Middle School hosted its first ever Health and Wellness Fair Tuesday night.
It's a part of 'INtegrate,' a program the Tippecanoe School Corporation is piloting to encourage healthy living.
'INtegrate' shows other ways to improve your lifestyle besides traditional exercise and diet.
The program focuses on the importance on mental health, hydration, nutrition and fitness.
School Nurse Janey Vanliew said the earlier kids start thinking about health, the better.
"If we can ingrain that in their minds earlier then hopefully that'll develop healthy habits that will go through their entire lifetime," Vanliew said.
She said one goal of Tuesday's event was to show different kinds of fitness so all students can find something they enjoy.
"You don't have to be a runner, you don't have to be somebody who lifts weights," Vanliew said. "There's just so many different ways for you to get fit other than just the typical things that you think of, or that most people think of."
She hopes the event can show students how many areas of health there is.
"They can see that their mental health is just as important as their physical health, and exercise is just as important as the nutrition that they're putting in their body."
Local vendors including ParkWest Fitness, Lueken Chiropractic and Wellness, and Therapy Dogs International attended to talk about different areas of health.
Vanliew said she hopes to make the Health and Wellness Fair an annual event.
- Klondike Middle School hosts first ever Health & Wellness Fair
- Klondike Middle School announces new principal
- Purdue Hosting Career Fair
- Klondike Elementary School honors Cecil L. Helmerick
- Revive Klondike project starting soon
- Pedestrian dies in Klondike Road crash
- Klondike Road back open after gas leak
- Purdue hosting Building and Grounds Career Fair
- Latino Center for Wellness and Education hosts Christmas party
- Middle School Students Celebrate MLK All Week